Track Safety Standards Part 213 Classes 1-5 Workshop
April 25 - 28, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
This 3.5 day course describes track defects and discusses in depth the Federal Track Safety Standards in 49 CFR, Part 213: Track Safety Standards (TSS) Class 1-5 with an interactive approach both in the classroom and in the field. Class 1, Short Line operators, and contractors will find this workshop valuable for those responsible for compliance with the FRA TSS. Upon completion of this course, attendees will have an introductory understanding of how to apply FRA TSS for inspecting track, recording defects, and taking necessary remedial action.
Emphasis during this course is placed on: FRA Qualification, Compliance, Railroad/Track Owner Responsibility, Class Specific Defects, Non Class Specific Defects, Turnout Inspections, Rail Defects, and Inspection Report Requirements.
Those attending will:
- Learn track inspection techniques with special emphasis of turnouts.
- Learn how to measure track parameters in the field.
- Develop a clear understanding of the Federal Track Safety Standards and the FRA track inspection process.
- Track Safety Standards 213
- Subpart A to F
- Track Classes 1 - 5
- Turnout Inspections
- Railroad/Track Owner Responsibility
- Excepted Track
- Responsibility for Compliance
- Non-Class Specific Defects
- Track Components
- Drainage, Vegetation
- Track Geometry, Gage, Alignment, Curves
- Track Surface
- Track Structure
- Ballast, Crossties Wood, Concrete
- Gage Restraint Measuring Systems (GRMS)
- Rail History and Defect Identification
- Rail End Mismatch
- CWR Plans, CWR Plan Content
- Rail Joints , Torch Cut Rail
- Tie Plates, Rail Cant
- Rail Fastening Systems
- Turnouts, Switches, Frogs (RBM, Self-Guarded, Spring Rail, Flange Bearing)
- Track Appliances
- Track, Switches, Crossings, Lift Assemblies, Inspections and Requirements, Automated Inspections (Concrete Ties)
- Special Inspections
- Inspection Record Requirements
Meet the instructor: Brad Hess
Brad Hess was employed in the railroad industry for more than 48 years. For the past 33 years he worked in the railroad regulatory and safety field as a Track Specialist for the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and Track Inspector for FRA, the states of California and Nevada. He recently retired from the FRA after spending the last 16 years as the Regional Track Specialist in FRA Region 7, including the states of California, Nevada, Arizona and Utah. Brad holds a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Nevada Reno.
Class Location and Schedule:
Holiday Inn & Suites at Ameristar, Council Bluffs, IA
Tues., Wed., & Thurs.
• 8 a.m. to noon, 1 to 5 p.m.
• 8 a.m. to noon
For workshop registration or for more information call toll free, 800-228-9670 or email email@example.com. PDF registration form available Track Inspection Workshop Form. (Download and open in Acrobat Reader to use interactive fields.)
$899 per person/limited availability
We reserve the right to cancel this workshop based on a minimum attendance requirement by March 24th, 2017.
The room rate for the workshop attendees is $74.00 per night.
Hotel cancellation is 24 hours before arrival.
Complimentary shuttle from the airport.
Holiday Inn & Suites at Ameristar
2202 River Road, Council Bluffs, IA 51501
Mention group: The Railway Educational Bureau.
Cancel in writing or email by March 24th, 2017 for a full refund.